Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Last Two Days

Last week one of our dear friends that Gary worked for, Lou Wilhelm, took Gary and his friend Phil fishing at Flaming Gorge. They had both worked for him hauling hay and this was his way of telling them goodbye before they left for their respective missions. They were hard workers and he really loves those boys.

Now this has been our last 2 days with Gary before he leaves on his mission. This is always an emotional time. He spent yesterday with us and his friend Chelsey Richman. Though they aren't boyfriend/girlfriend they have become the best of friends. We absolutely love her for the way she helped Gary prepare for his mission. She is a sweetheart. They went to the movie and then he got to meet her new boyfriend/guy friend(?). He approved and said he was a really nice guy.

Gary and his best friend Chelsey


Today was our last day to try to cram all those things in that you always think you'll have time to do before they leave. So what did we do? We went golfing. Wynn has always loved golfing and last Tuesday he took Gary and Tanner and Gary decided he could love this game. So he wanted to go one last time. Wynn, myself, Gary, Andy and Leza (she didn't play) went to Sherwood Hills. (it's 2 for 1 on Tuesdays) This was my first time golfing. I agree with Gary. I LOVE this game. Wynn says I was really good for my first time. I only lost one ball. Yeah me! I forgot my camera though so I didn't get any pictures which I had planned to do. It started downpouring while we were on the course, we kept playing. It stopped and I guess the rain washed off the sunblock because when we were done I was kind of red. Oh, well.

When we got home, Gary and Wynn worked on getting his room packed up. They didn't quite finish, but Gary told him what to keep, what to throw away and what was what ever. I just couldn't do it. I kept crying and that was not what he needed right now. The nerves are still here and he didn't need me crying in his face all day.

At 8:00pm we went to the Stake Presidents office for Gary to be set apart as a missionary for the Texas Lubbock mission for the duration that he needs to be there. It was a beautiful thing. The Stake President was gone so his counselor, President Younkers set him apart along with Wynn and Andy. The whole family was there. It was wonderful. The Spirit was so strong. And now he is a missionary, a man of God and we will be taking him to the MTC tomorrow morning. And though he has been preparing for this his whole life and immersing himself in all things missionary that he could for the last few months, I am going to miss him. I know this is where he is supposed to be. I know this is what he is supposed to do. I wouldn't want him anywhere else at this time. I am sp proud of him and his choices. But I am going to miss him. He is such a good son, brother and friend to all. He is an excellent example to all around him...so loving and kind, even though he has his mischeivous side. I know he's not perfect, but he's close. He is going to be an excellent missionary for the Lord.

God speed, Elder Gary Dean Jenkins. I love you.

No comments: