Saturday, December 06, 2008

A morning well spent

Have I mentioned before that we live in a really great ward? They did this last year, but I didn't get to go because they did it after I had my hysterectomy, therefore I was somewhat laid up. So this is the first time I got to participate.

For the ward Christmas party, they chose to do it on a Saturday morning. We went to the church at 8:00am & they fed us a nice breakfast of pancakes, sausage, eggs, milk, chocolate milk, & orange juice in the gym. Then they had tables set up, in the gym, young womens room, young mens room, & primary room. This is where the great morning comes in....

Young mens room---put together buckets of car cleaning supplies
Young womens room---put together hygeine kits
Primary room---put together buckets of house cleaning supplies, or make cute gloves for girls by gluing on beads or for boys by putting on sports stickers
Gym--a whole assembly line....sanding wooden cars, putting on the wheels, dunking them in mineral oil, & then wiping the oil off

We were there from 8am until 10:30am. There were close to 100 people who came, men, women, & children of all ages & walks of life. I wish I had a picture to put on here to show the amount of everything that was put together this morning & how much fun & joy we had doing it. There is no complaining of Why do we have to do this?, or How much longer is this going to take?, or Can we go home now?. There is only We're done already?!! I wish there was more to do. And so much fun had by all. There is so much love & caring going in to each project done that you can actually feel it. The kids know they are helping others that are less fortunate & only show love while doing this. Where are all these projects going now we have them done? To the local CAPSA organization. And to think that with all that was done this morning, they still need so much more. I wish you all could have been there.

And even though this does count for my service hours for AmeriCorp, (for those that figured that out) that isn't why I did it. I went without even knowing it was for CAPSA. I went because I wanted to help others. My kids (Gary, Morgan, Lexie & Tanner) wanted to help others. I thought we were doing a Church Humanitarian project that would not have counted for my hours. WE did it because.

No comments: