Monday, March 15, 2010

Our Adventure---Day 1

Today started out bright and early.......well, for me anyway. I got up right after Wynn left for work (he leaves at 4:30 am thank you very much) and started getting ready to leave. I let Drew sleep for a while longer since Morgan and Lexie both needed showers for school. It always seems to take longer to get out the door than we plan. Especially making sure the kids being 'left behind' have all the instructions they need, etc, etc, etc.......

Anyway, we did get out the door, car loaded, gassed up, ATM, and on the road, and hour or so later than planned. Oh well. Since we had just been this way 3 weeks ago, there were a lot of things that were, 'Let's just get past this part', but many things that were, 'Remember that? We want a picture of that. Where was that?' So we had many laughs and looking for those elusive memories we didn't catch on film before.

We had chosen to have all our snacks and food ready to go so we didn't have to leave the freeway other than for gas.....and the ever needed potty break, which seemed to come every hour, maybe that had to do with the humongous amounts of water we were consuming?

We were having a nice drive and then had to get out for gas and additive since 'Ellie' (Drew's affectionate name for her car) is not running so smoothly as she has before. Man is that wind COLD!!! Couldn't wait to get back in the car! Thank goodness it is state law in Oregon that you can't pump your own gas! We can just sit in the warmth of the car and let the sweet men do that for us. Then it was my turn to drive....

As I am innocently driving down the freeway minding my own business, I'm watching a hawk in the middle bar pit of the road catching something. And while I am still innocently driving on MY SPACE of the road, the hawk decides to fly off with it's catch. I don't know if what it caught was heavy or what, but it didn't lift off very high, and it came straight at the car! It barely got high enough to clear the windsheild! And I mean barely!!! Drew and I both ducked and gasped, but I think I still kept my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road.....I think I did.

We made it to Pasco in plenty of time. Picked up her card, ate dinner and headed on our way. How long do we have to drive along the huge river? I think I can, I think I can, I think I can......

At one of our bathroom stops we were glad to see that the sign said bathrooms inside, you know, as opposed to all those along the way that are just a tree outside! Hahahahaha! So when we got in there, they had toilet paper stuck in the hole where the lock for the stall was supposed to be! Oh yea!

Drew drove along the Columbia River, but as it was getting late and dark it was a bit hard to see much. Hence the no hives ya think? But we decided to stay in Portland Tuesday night as well and go back to the falls, the dam, the river......

So we got to Portland and checked in to the hotel and here we are. Reserved a room at the same place for tomorrow night. I will do a picture post tomorrow after Drew gets them on her laptop. So until tomorrow. G'night!

No comments: